Alma 37:6-7

Alma 37:6-7
Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.


.

Monday, February 24, 2014

READ YOUR SCRIPTURES



Last week I wanted to talk about the scriptures and how much I have grown to love them while being on my mission. I wanted to do that last week but something within me said wait. So I waited and I am so glad I did. 

This past week we had interviews with President Jordan and he gave a training on the power of the scriptures. And it is going to help me express how I feel about them. The scriptures have a special purpose and are a tool we must use so that God can communicate to us. As we read in the Old Testimant in the Book of Amos chapter 3 verse 7 it says, "Surely the Lord God will do nothing but he revealeth his secrets unto his servants the prophets." God talks to use through the prophets and prophets of old have written their words down in the Bible and the Book of Mormon so we may "feast upon the word of Christ." 

In the Helaman 3 27 it reads, "Yea, we see that whosoever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is quick and powerful, which shall divide asunder all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil, and lead the man of Christ in a strait and narrow course across that everlasting gulf of misery which is prepared to engulf the wicked.  

If we just lay hold upon the word of God we will be able to withstand from temptation. We will be able to go through the struggles of life and push them aside but that is only if we read our scriptures every single day. It is a commandment of the Lord to do so and there is great promises that come along with that.   

In Alma chapter 37 verses 5-9 it talks about how by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. As you personally read these verses think of how you can better value the scriptures in your life. It says that with out the scriptures that Ammon and his brethren would not have been able to convince the Lamanites into believing into God. 

The scriptures have powers. I know they do and I have seen that as a missionary. I personally have read the Book of Mormon twice since being here and have now started to read through the Old Testament and I love it. So read your scriptures and be more diligent. Strenghten your own testimony of the Book of Mormon and you will see a change in your own life. 

I will close with a really cool miracle of the week!

We were just walking to an appointment with the Caribbean family and as we were walking a young boy who is about 4 years old comes running from behind and grabs onto Elder Adriano's bag. We were so surprised and kind of didn't know what to do. As we were walking for a few more steps we hear a loud scream, "JOSEPH!! GET OFF THAT MANS BAG!!"  The mother came running up and started to apologize and we assured her it was totally fine. She tried to pull the young boy off and he immediately started to scream so we just said we would walk them home. We start walking home with this young boy attached to Elder Adriano's bag. She then asks us, "So what are you two young men doing exactly?" "Well we are missionaries from a local church and we teach people about God and how we can strengthen our families through such a belief." She then paused outside of her house and said, "No way. I honestly know nothing about God and have been thinking about learning more. Will you come back on Tuesday to teach me and my family." All because this little boy came and grabbed Elder Adriano's bag. Out of everyone in the crowd of people Joseph grabbed a missionaries bag.

Love you all,

Elder David


No comments:

Post a Comment