Alma 37:6-7

Alma 37:6-7
Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.


.

Monday, August 4, 2014

Eating in Posh Homes

So this week was probably the fastest week of my mission. I have probably said that one before in some previous email but now this is the new record. On Tuesday we had Mission Leadership Council in Hyde Park. It was just the best to not wake up at 3 in the morning to drive down from Norwich. Opposition in all things right. I got to wake up at the normal time, have a nice breakfast, get my studies on. All of the normal routine and we were still on time. The meeting was great. It is my favourite meeting to attend. After the meeting we went to Ashley's home to have family home evening with his family. Ashley is one of investigators right now that is preparing for baptism. He is dating a member and has a 9 year old daughter who we are starting to teach as well. They are really great!
On Wednesday Elder Pereira had to take his driving lessons to prepare for his test coming up this week. All I can say is that I am so happy to be done with that process. It is just miserable. He takes it on the 7th so go pray for him because it really is terrible.
Thursday was the day we help Zone Training Meeting for our Zone. I love preparing for this meeting. We give trainings to the missionaries in the zone to help them reach their full potential in the Lords Vineyard. After the meeting on Thursday a few of us went to this chinese restaurant named "Chopstix." While sitting there there was this Chinese University Student who kept looking over at us and I really wanted to talk to him. We continued eating and by the time we finished the man was gone. I was kind of sad but gradually forgot about the memory as the day rolled on. Then as the night was about to end, before we were going to go home for tea we decided to talk to people outside of the Hyde Park Chapel. After 10 minutes there was not much success until at a distance I saw a familiar face that I recognized. It was the guy from earlier at the restaurant!!! I was so shocked and I said, "Hey I remember you! You were at chopstix today!" He replied,"Oh yeah you were with all your friends. It looked like you were having a good time." After a few minutes of small talk I invited him into the Visitors Centre for a tour. He accepted and loved the tour. He got so excited when he saw the full size basketball court. We then invited him to come to play friday night basketball (which was the next day). He also agreed. After playing basketball on Friday we then invited him to come to church and he came! His name is Song and really is a cool guy. It just shows that no matter how big London is. That if God wants you to talk to someone, he will make sure it happens. What are the chances that I would run into him the same day as when I saw him? Miracle.
On Friday we had the whole day to do some normal missionary work which was really needed. We were sick of being on the computer for the past 3 days getting ready for the meetings. As we were walking home from doing service in the morning we ran into Beth. Beth is from the Philippines and we always talk to her in the little Tagalog that we know and she loves it. She said,"When you first said Como Saka to me I thought in my head, white boy say what? I was so surprised you knew how to say that." So we ran into her again and this time we had the longest conversation yet and t was great. By the end of the conversation I asked her,"So when are we coming over for some Filipino food?" Beth said, "Tomorrow at 11:30." Easiest meal appointment ever scheduled and it was with our neighbor who doesn't even know us haha.
So the next day we go to her home and she has this feast prepared for us. So much dang food. Her husband was really pleased to meet us. He is from the Caribbean and they met 4 years ago. They lived in the same flat complex and met one day and happy ever after. They were very curious about what we believed and said they would like to learn more another time. Beth has family who are Mormon's back in her home country. So now this new family is wanting to investigate the church after inviting ourselves over for food. Success.
Later that evening we had another night in the Philippines. So a lot of people form the Phillippines come here to cook or clean for really wealthy families. There is a woman in our ward who does this and while the family are on holiday He lets her have people over and have a small gathering. We were invited to this small gathering and I was really excited to go to this really nice home. I didn't know what to expect though. We arrive to the door and as she opened it I couldn't believe my eyes. The home was beautiful. Just perfect. They had this grand piano in the living room that I of course had to get my hands on. It was ridiculous. So as we were eating I asked," so who's home is this by the way?" Pacita nonchalantly responded,"The Vice President of the Swiss Bank." I about choked on my food. She then goes on to explain that he has 2 other homes in France, 1 in Switzerland, and a 350 acre property with a mansion sitting right in the middle that is located in Birmingham. It was a pretty cool experience. After dinner I wanted to take a tour and record the house from a 1st person perspective. Masterpiece.
A lot of good things are happening! I will talk with you soon!
Love,
Elder David

 

Elder Talan Haynes David
England London Mission
64-68 Princes Gate
Exhibition Road,
South Kensington
London, England SW7 2PA

1. Friends in a nice house.
2. Art
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment