Alma 37:6-7

Alma 37:6-7
Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.


.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Agency. We all have it. Just use it wisely.

Hello Mates!
It has been 4 months since I have been home. It is really amazing how time flies when you are serving the Lord. I really can not believe it. I have had a pretty good week. We have met some really amazing people and are seeing a lot of progress in all our investigators. Our district, which consists of 6 total missionaries, is one of the best districts in the mission and all of us have been out less than 6 months. We are all young but are truly dedicated to this work. I love serving my mission in London. I think this city truly fits me. There is no question that I am a city boy.
This past week we have had some really interesting moments. There has been a common theme when we talk to people on the street. The theme this week or rather the question of the week was, "If there is a god why do so many bad things happen?" Every other person we talked to had this question. Of course this was said by the average atheist trying to test us with our answer. Foolishness I tell you.
I was trying to find in the scriptures an answer to this question. Something simple that I could show to the simple minded. I then came to the scripture in 2 Nephi in the Book of Mormon. It is found in chapter 2 Verse 27. It reads, "Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself." As it states in the first part of the verse, we are free to choose liberty and eternal life. We are also free to choose captivity and death. WE have the option to choose. When I showed this to our atheist friend, he then began to say, "Well if God is all powerful than why cant he just stop us from choosing?" I then read the verse to him again and asked him "Would we really be free?" He began to understand.
I tell you this story because many people do have this question. We must understand why we are here on this earth. "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to preform their labors." We are here to be tested. We all have our agency to choose these things. Of course there is children who are born in
unfortunate circumstances. You might ask "Where is their fair chance?" But I just ask you that if men were to exercise their agency in righteousness, would this world be different? If men and woman obeyed the commandments of God this world would be a much different world then what it is today. We have the agency to choose. So be the change you want to see in the world. Live in a way that people notice that you are different. That you are a disciple of Christ. If you make a conscience effort to change one thing in your life that is not in harmony with Gods teachings, and correct it in the coming week, then you will see a difference in your life and the lives of people around you. So give it a try.
Last P-day a few of us missionaries went to Harrods. If you do not know what Harrods is, then look it up. Inside there are £68,000 iPhones made out of gold. They used to sell lions, tigers, and bears oh my. And there are incredible cars sold inside. If you needed anything at all you would go to Harrods. ANYTHING. They have authentic Harry Potter Wands!! It is a childhood wonderland. So look it up! I will attach some pictures of what it looks like on the outside and the cars that are parked out in front of the building. And yes one of the cars is made out of velvet...In London there are some very creepy posters that are just weird. So I thought I would share some with you. When you see them all over they start to become ridiculous and just funny. And Last is a picture of my Halloween Package. Austin thought his note was hilarious. That GOOB.
I love you all and hope that you try to use the agency we have been given for good. I know you can do it. Have a great week!
Love,
Elder David
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment